Recent Posts

Wednesday 17 April 2013

Memory and Thyme
























years tumble by
like pebbles on the shore
they sink forgotten
leaving only ripples

old jobs
past loves
lost friends
time is the glacier
inexorable and unforgiving
coming for us all

time creases my hands
my eyes my mouth
it greys my hair
it makes me patient
and claims small
glimpses of wisdom

time is a litany
of lost visits
dead faces
forgotten places
where we once hid
and names etched
in memory

seasons flit by
my window
winters heaped
like cordwood
savoured meals
things to laugh on
others to rue

far-flung places
wild spaces
cold water falling
hibernating deserts
palm trees amid
remains of old fenceposts
and rusted wire

christmases long ago
deep snows
white lilies
easter bread loaves
special feasts
and sunday roasts

like pepper or thyme
memories spice our lives
making fragrant days
and piquant nights

without memory
we are nothing
pebbles ground to sand
blown away in the wind

~e

0 comments:

Post a Comment