Recent Posts

Wednesday 12 September 2012

A Phantom Chill
















february's snowy cold
sees slushy feet and frozen toes
and brief dark days that leave me low
i feel a phantom chill

motorcycle traffic brings
vexing noise and ears that ring
drowning out the birds who sing
was it supper made me ill?

when all the kids are out of school
no more books nor golden rule
and the rites of spring seize every fool
my scientists are getting close

the heat of august slows me down
i'm sleepy 'til the sun goes round
comes the cicada's droning sound
my malady is at last disclosed

i like when all the leaves let fly
helicopter seeds twirl high
bare branches set against the sky
the simple truth cannot be believed

november's grey and dreary feel
does autumn's vibrant hue conceal
distant does the warm sun wheel
tho mocked, it gives me great relief

december of the shortest days
of ice and snow and deep malaise
hark the herald holidays
all along it's lain 'neath our nose

my clothes are beautiful–all agree
of finest weave so hard to see
but this chill will be the death of me
for the emperor wears no clothes

~e

0 comments:

Post a Comment